On 2 October 1916, Opawa joined the Great Christchurch and became under the care of the C.C.C.
The Maori name for the Heathcote River is ‘Opawaho’ and this was also the name of the little settlement that sat on its banks for quite a few centuries. Opawaho means Outpost and that was exactly what it was; the main Pa sitting on the outskirts of today’s Kaiapoi (Kaikai-a-waro).
Even before the Ngai Tahu, the area of Opawaho was used as a place to gather food by the Ngati Mamoe. Things did not change much when the Ngai Tahu took over; Opawaho became a place of food storage and rest. Rest was needed as the Maori would walk from place to place, covering many miles on the plains.
The term of Opawa first appeared in The Star newspaper in 1868.
For a more in depth look at the history of Opawa, please check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/opawa-opawaho/
*image courtesy of Annette Bulovic*