• Fireworks Threatens Christchurch’s Highest Icon – 4th May 2016

    Sugarloaf Scenic Reserve was once part of a grand farm known as Cashmere.  The main farming hub sat snug beside the Port Hills while the most southern boundary of grazing paddocks once reached up over the hills as far as Governors Bay.  Cashmere’s founder, India born Sir John Cracroft Wilson led his family and seventeen …

  • Ballantynes Fire First Responder Restored – 3rd May 2015

    On 3rd May 2015, guests including the region’s current fire fighters, were invited to Ferrymead Heritage Park to attend the unveiling of a specially restored Ford V8 Mercury ’45 Fire Engine (No.11). This was the first Fire Truck to respond to the Ballantynes fire on 18th November 1947 – leaving from the Fire House at …

  • The Rhodes Spring Turned 100 – 2014

    Harry Ell – a Cantab lad, visionary and lover of the Port Hills – had visions of walkers and travellers enjoying a network of scenic reserves along the Port Hills connected by a road with rest-houses along the way – right through to Akaroa. He planned just fewer than 20 rest-houses along what would start …

  • Remains of John Robert Godley’s House Uncovered – June 2012

    In June 2012, the 162 year old timber pile remains of John Robert Godley’s house (co-founder of the Canterbury Association and Chief Agent) were discovered during the demolition of Lyttelton’s Plunket building (built during the 1940’s) due to earthquake damage.  It appears that the Plunkett structure had been built over top. John Robert Godley, his …

Contact Form Powered By : XYZScripts.com
%d bloggers like this: