On 17 December 1935, the Christchurch City Council purchased 230 hectares off the Boag family to establish a city airport. At the time of purchase, the 230 hectares was still a part of the Boag family farm of Burnside – this history now acknowledged in the naming of the suburb.
William Boag had arrived in Canterbury in 1851 on the ‘Cornwall’, the Canterbury Association’s 18th ship. This just happened to be the same transport that William Sefton Moorhouse and Samuel Bealey travelled on with their family – two of our future Superintendents.
For a more in depth look at William Boag and Burnside, please check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/burnside-william-boag-1828-1904/
*image courtesy of http://earlycanterbury.blogspot.co.nz/ *