On the 25th December 1848, Christchurch had its first Christmas Day. On the newly named Canterbury Plains, 9 people (maybe the only people on the plains that day) crowded into the Deans Cottage to make the most of the day.
Some of those who attended were Captain Joseph Thomas (Chief surveyor for the Canterbury Association who chose the site for Christchurch, Sumner and Lyttelton), Thomas Cass (surveyor – Canterbury Association), Charles Torlesse (surveyor – Canterbury Association), and Sir William Fox (agent of the New Zealand Company).
It was on this day that the Deans renamed Putaringamotu to Riccarton after their parish back in Scotland; and requested to rename the Otakaro to the Avon River – after the Avon Waters which flowed beside their grandfather’s property where they had fished as boys.
For a more in depth look at Christchurch’s First Christmas, please check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/christchurchs-first-christmas-1848/
*image courtesy of Annette Bulovic*