On 20th March 1917, Avonside joined the Greater Christchurch and came under the care of the C.C.C.
In 1857, a small cob church was built at ‘the side of the Avon’ on land that had been gifted by John and Elizabeth Stace. It was consecrated by Bishop Henry Harper (Canterbury’s First Anglican Bishop) on 24 February 1857 and named the Holy Trinity of Avonside. It was around this early church, the community of Avonside was formed.
By 1859, the Avonside Parish had the spiritual welfare of worshippers in the Styx (Redwood), Aranui, Burwood, Marshland, New Brighton, North New Brighton, Parklands and part of Phillipstown.
The church that we have come to know this past century was started in 1874 – the architect being Benjamin Woolfield Mountfort (architect of the Canterbury Museum, Arts Centre etc). The Holy Trinity had its last face-lift in 1954.
The Holy Trinity was slightly damaged in the 4th September 2010 earthquake. The repairmen, who were having their lunch when the 22nd February earthquake hit, witnessed the roof cave in and the walls tumble down over the nearby graves. Sadly, the church could not be saved and was fully demolished later in 2011.
A time capsule was discovered as the debris was cleared. Inside were the words of the consecration, read by Bishop Harper 154 years ago.