Press Lane

It’s not hard to imagine the city’s reporters fanning out over the city, heading out to Christchurch’s hotels and taverns to listen in on nearby conversations over a pint. It still happens today and has been for years. Those who have those kinds of jobs – like in government for example – know to be …

The Lyttelton Times

On the 11th January 1851, the first issue of The Lyttelton Times hit the shelves. As the Canterbury Association made their plans for New Zealand’s newest Church of England (Anglican) settlement, they spoke of a grand Cathedral and college being at its heart with a good number of public domains for recreation and oh yes, …

James Edward Fitzgerald (1818 – 1896)

James Edward Fitzgerald (1818 – 1896)    Died of old age      Place of Death: Wellington Was Canterbury’s first Superintendent, the first to step ashore from the Charlotte Jane, founded the Lyttelton Times and The Press, Lincoln and Springston was his farmland which was known as The Springs. Buried at Bolten Street Cemetery, Wellington. The …

George Gatonby Stead (1841 – 1908)

George Gatonby Stead was born in London, England. At the age of 9, his parents moved his life to South Africa where he lived until he was 24. During that time he became a excellent rider and good shot with a rifle. On returning to England in 1865, he soon decided to emigrate to Canterbury, …

Harry Ell (1862 – 1934)

Harry Ell will always be remembered as a great lover of the Port Hills. Harry was born in Christchurch in 1862. He grew up on his parents’ farm in Halswell. From an early age, he became passionate about Christchurch’s natural heritage and its endangered species. It’s not hard to understand why his first job was …

The Lyttelton (Moorhouse) Railway Tunnel

I get the feeling that William Sefton Moorhouse drew in very deep breaths and rolled his eyes more than once when it came to dealing with his government colleagues. The man never seemed to put his roots down for long, in fact he would drop everything to chase a dream or an idea. He seemed …

Lord Mandeville’s Swamp

On the corner of Mandeville Street and Riccarton Road sits Mandeville Reserve, a gift from John Heaton Rhodes to the people of Riccarton Borough. In 1857, a beautiful house was built on that corner.  It was named ‘Oakford’ and was owned by Henry Joseph Hall.  He became chairman of the Riccarton Road Board in 1875 …

Peacock’s Gallop – Sumner to Shag Pile (Rock)

JOHN JENKINS PEACOCK – 1798 – 1868 From Sumner to Shag Pile (Shag’s Rock) is known as Peacock’s Gallop. Imagine it’s the 1850’s in Sumner. It’s still early morning, you may be still in bed when in the dimness comes the faint rumble of pounding horse hooves. It grows louder and louder, then you catch …