First Canterbury Pastoral Association Show Held – 22nd October 1862

On 22 October 1862, in a paddock north of Latimer Square, the first show since the formation of the Canterbury Pastoral Association was held. This was also the first year that this event did not coincide with the Canterbury Anniversary celebrations of mid-December.

The beginning had started with an invitation being sent out for those keen to bring a collection of their trades to sell or barter in a prepared area in Hagley Park, 16 December 1852 – Canterbury’s 2nd anniversary of the arrival of the First Four Ships. Those who made the effort only brought agriculture and it was an event that was easy to forget. But by the time the 3rd anniversary rolled round, the turnout was much different. The first Cantabs came into Hagley Park from every direction, driving in herds of cattle, sheep and pigs and everything else that could be carried or sold.

The popularity of The Show has remained ever since.

For a more in depth look at the A & P Show, check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/the-a-p-show/

*image courtesy of http://cclblog.wordpress.com/

Leave a Reply


*

 

%d bloggers like this: