The Christchurch Club vs The Canterbury Club

In 1856, 12 gentlemen farmers founded The Christchurch Club. Referred to as ‘The Club’ at first, it started its life in a leased building in Durham Street. Benjamin Mountfort drew up a design for a clubhouse which resulted in the building of their pre-earthquake location at 154 Worchester Street in 1863 – some of the …

A.F.A.C. Monument

In the north eastern corner of Latimer Square stands the A.F.A.C. monument to the Australian Emergency Services that took action in Christchurch during those first few dark days in February 2011. In the shape of a bench, it is made from rubble taken from the Christchurch Cathedral. A closer look shows years and years of …

Captain Joseph Thomas (1803 – ?)

Captain Joseph Thomas is easily the most forgotten man in Christchurch’s history. Born in 1803, Joseph was educated at the Royal Military College – so naturally he spent the beginning of his working life in the Army. He served in India and the West Indies, retiring in 1830. He travelled to South America where he …

Ridley Square

As early as 1850, there were 3 squares in the first map of Christchurch. To be named after three 16th century martyred Bishops: Latimer and Cramner Squares started to take their shape…so did Ridley Square which was destined to become known as Cathedral Square. All three were to have churches built on them. Latimer Square …

First Canterbury Pastoral Association Show Held – 22nd October 1862

On 22 October 1862, in a paddock north of Latimer Square, the first show since the formation of the Canterbury Pastoral Association was held. This was also the first year that this event did not coincide with the Canterbury Anniversary celebrations of mid-December. The beginning had started with an invitation being sent out for those …