PEERSWICK – the forgotten past of Church Corner.

At Church Corner, at the western end of Riccarton Road, opposite Countdown are a series of shops and arcades.  Long past their prime and popularity, one arcade there especially doesn’t fit in and that would be the Peerswick Mall.  This very British sounding collection of shops is now the hub of Christchurch’s Asian shopping market, …

First Road To The Canterbury Plains

On the 30th December 1850, surveyor Charles O. Torlesse chained and pegged the first road to the Canterbury Plains – from this point at Church Corner, Upper Riccarton – opposite Countdown. Named Harewood Road, it was from this road that sections began to be sold to the settlers. The term Yaldhurst began to be used …

The Glebe Reserve

The Glebe Reserve can be found on the Main South Road, not far from the traffic lights as you head east across Curletts Road towards Church Corner, Upper Riccarton. In 1858, Rev Octavius Mathias was the proud owner of 200 acres along the beginning of Yaldhurst Road. When he purchased the land, only survey pegs …

Octavius Mathias (1805 – 1864)

Rev. Octavius Mathias – 1805 – 1864 Reverend Octavius Mathias no doubt knew that it was him behind Bishop Harper’s comment that some of the early clergymen of Canterbury just lacked the commitment. Educated at Cambridge, Octavius became a Chaplin in the Royal Navy. Taking a keen interest in New Zealand, he was one of …