Robert Heaton Rhodes (1815 – 1884) Died of old age Place of Death: Christchurch
* The suburb of Elmwood is named after Robert’s estate of Elmwood, now Heaton Normal Int. School and Elmwood Park.
* Father of Sir Heaton Rhodes.
* 1853 – 1862 – Member of the Canterbury Provincial Council
* 1866 – 1874 – Member of the Canterbury Provincial Council
* 1871 – 1874 – Member of Parliament
Robert is buried St Paul’s Anglican Church, Papanui, Christchurch.
The story of the suburb of Elmwood: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/elmwood-marshlands-robert-heaton-rhodes-1815-1884/
The story of the Rhodes Family: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/the-rhodes-brothers/
Photo taken by Annette Bulovic