Edward Jerningham Wakefield (1820 – 1879) Died of alcoholism Place of Death: Ashburton, Canterbury
* Son of Edward Gibbon Wakefield – the Father of New Zealand – owner of The New Zealand Company and The Canterbury Association.
* Cousin to the New Zealand Company/Canterbury Association surveyor Charles Orbin Torlesse.
* 1848 – 1849 Member of the Canterbury Association.
* 1853 – 1855 Member of Parliament.
* 1857 – 1861 Member of the Wellington Provincial Council.
* 1871 – 1875 Member of Parliament.
Edward is buried the Old Settler’s Cemetery, Ashburton, Canterbury.
The story of Edward Jerningham Wakefield: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/edward-jerningham-wakefield-1820-1879/
Photo taken by Annette Bulovic