What is largely unknown is that this crossing was the very first bridge built over the Heathcote River. Originally just two felled Totara laying over the Opawaho (Heathcote River), the early surveyors were using it as early as 1848 and they called it Crawford’s Bridge after Charles Crawford who built it.
Crawford’s efforts were replaced in 1851 by the Canterbury Provincial Council. It was upgraded again in 1862. Then in 1964, the bridge we know today was built.
*photo taken by Annette Bulovic*