As the Bridle Path was being sliced into the side of the Port Hills in 1849 – above Lyttelton which was well under construction – at the path’s foot, another structure was rising, under the watchful eye of its owner – Major Alfred Hornbrook. It was to be Canterbury’s first commercial enterprise, hotel and humble …
On 21st November 1849, Maori workers of Road Gang No.1 walked off the job in Lyttelton after laying a complaint to the Canterbury Association of having ‘ill language’ used against them and also in response to the threat of a pay cut. This was Canterbury’s first industrial action. The following day, Superintendent George Compton handed …
On the 25th December 1848, Christchurch had its first Christmas Day. On the newly named Canterbury Plains, 9 people (maybe the only people on the plains that day) crowded into the Deans Cottage to make the most of the day. Some of those who attended were Captain Joseph Thomas (Chief surveyor for the Canterbury Association …
On the 15th December 1848, Canterbury Association surveyors, Captain Joseph Thomas, Thomas Cass, Charles Orbin Torlesse (pictured) and New Zealand Company Agent William Fox arrived at Port Cooper (Lyttelton) – almost two years to the day before the arrival of the First Four Ships. They stepped ashore on the beach at Rapaki and surrounded by …