On 20th March 1917, St Martins joined the Greater Christchurch and came under the care of the C.C.C. Henry Phillips (pictured) was known to be a man of great capital amongst the other passengers of the ‘Sir George Seymour’ – the third of our first four ships. He certainly proved them right with the amount …
On 20th March 1917, Avonside joined the Greater Christchurch and came under the care of the C.C.C. In 1857, a small cob church was built at ‘the side of the Avon’ on land that had been gifted by John and Elizabeth Stace. It was consecrated by Bishop Henry Harper (Canterbury’s First Anglican Bishop) on 24 …
On 24 February 1917, Governor Lord Liverpool officially opened Riccarton Bush to the public. It had been gifted to the people of Christchurch from the Deans family three years earlier in 1914. One of the conditions of this gift was that the bush was to be preserved for all time. This fulfilled one of the …
On 9th February 1917, the Scott Statue was unveiled in the Scott Reserve – the south west corner of Worcester Street and Oxford Terrace. The ceremony was led by New Zealand Governor Arthur Foljambe, the 2nd Earl of Liverpool. It hadn’t even been a week after the news of Captain Robert Falcon Scott’s death in …