Great Storm Flooded Christchurch – 4th February 1868

On 4th February 1868, a severe storm hit Canterbury causing wide spread damage across the region. The storm, which began on 3rd February, continued over night, wrecking many ships at anchor in Lyttelton. The first alarm for Christchurch was raised by a Fendall Town (Fendalton) resident who reported that the Waimakariri River had flooded and …

First Mayor Of The C.C.C Elected – 1868

William Barbour Wilson was quite a presence, 6 foot and weighing in at 18 stone. He was a man of immense energy, always walked at a fast pace – keeping one hand on his hat and the other motioning to others to make room for him. He had a ready smile for his friends but …

Longest Serving Prime Minister Made Fortune In Canterbury’s Gold Fields – 1868

In 1868, the last year that the West Coast was a part of the Canterbury region, Richard ‘King Dick’ Seddon – destined to become New Zealand’s longest serving Prime Minister and pictured here on the far right – was trying his luck amongst many others in the hunt for gold. He prospered so much there, …

Christchurch’s First Paid Fire Fighters – 1868

Following the example of the Auckland Volunteer Fire Brigade set up in 1854, Christchurch’s first fire station was opened in Market Place (Victoria Square) in 1860. Those who first volunteered had the immediate use of a manual fire pump whereas Auckland started with just buckets. In 1868, Christchurch got its first career fire fighters – …

West Coast Splits Away From Canterbury’s Provincial Government – 1868

The news that the South Island’s West Coast (between the Grey and Arnold Rivers) was once a part of Canterbury would come as a bit of a surprise for some. But it is true. Canterbury’s provincial government governed over Westland from Christchurch; even Bishop Henry Harper (the first Anglican Bishop of Canterbury) made the back …

The Lyttelton (Moorhouse) Railway Tunnel Opened – 9th December 1867

On 9 December 1867, the most ambitious and controversial project ever taken on by such a young city as Christchurch was completed. Since the formation of the Canterbury Provincial Council in 1853, an easier route from Lyttelton to Christchurch had been a hot topic. Only two ways seemed possible – a railway following the harbour …

The Canterbury Museum Opened – 3rd December 1867

On 3 December 1867, in an upstairs room in the Canterbury Provincial Chambers, German explorer, Sir Julius von Haast put his personal collections of geological finds on display, in what would become known as the Canterbury Museum. In his role of Provincial Geologist and Surveyor General, Julius explored the great rivers of Canterbury; drawing maps …

Concern Raised Over Christchurch’s Fallen Women – 22nd November 1867

On the 22th November 1867, a city meeting took place at Christchurch’s Town Hall concerning the ‘…too bold and brazen…’ and ‘…professionally quite openly…’ attitude of Christchurch’s fallen sisters of the night. No women were in attendance. Even before the arrival of the First Four Ships, prostitutes were known to frequent Lyttelton. With the jump …

Godley Statue Unveiled – 8th August 1867

On 8 August 1867, the statue of the Late John Robert Godley – the founder of Canterbury – was unveiled to the crowds in Cathedral Square. The statue was moved to the north side of the Cathedral in 1918 – where the Citizen’s War Memorial now stands – to make way for a tram shelter. …

The Great Snow Storm – 29th July 1867

On the 29th July 1867, what started as a south wester turned into one of the worst snow storms to hit Canterbury.  Nothing of this magnitude had even been recorded down in Maori history or memory of the region. Lady Barker and her husband Fredrick Broome were the owners of ‘Broomielaw’, a mid Canterbury farm …