On 22 June 1897, Victoria Park opened as part of the celebrations of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
The area was first chosen in 1870 but it took over 10 years before any development such as planting was done. William Moore lived on site from 1886 and was selling refreshments to the visitors venturing around the park.
The park was officially opened and named by the Honourable William Rolleston. William was the 4th and last Superintendant of Canterbury from 1868 to 1877. At the time of the opening William was the Member of Parliament for Riccarton.
* Image courtesy of Annette Bulovic*