The Kate Sheppard Memorial Walk Opened – 1990

What started as one hundred White Camellias being donated to Christchurch’s Botanical Gardens became the Kate Sheppard Memorial Walk in 1990. The White Camellia was the symbol of Woman’s Suffrage movement.

To celebrate the 100 year anniversary of her successful campaign to win women the right to vote in 1993, a new White Camellia was created and named the ‘Kate Sheppard’.

All along the walk are plaques acknowledging the women based groups that shape the city of Christchurch and New Zealand today.

For a more in depth look at Kate Sheppard, please check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/catherine-wilson-lovell-smith-nee-malcolm-kate-sheppard-1847-1934/

* Image courtesy of Annette Bulovic*

Leave a Reply


*

 

%d bloggers like this: