In December 1926, an area by the Avon, near the corner of Barbadoes Street and Oxford Terrace – known as ‘The Bricks’ – is acknowledged by the unveiling of a brick cairn.
Named ‘The Bricks’ by the Deans Brothers in 1843 – it was here that they left the bricks for their chimney on the side on the Avon River because the whaler’s boats they were using couldn’t go any further. From here, the brothers would have to use a canoe to continue to Putaringamotu (Riccarton) as the Avon became too shallow. They would have to return by dray for the bricks later on.
Also used by the first four ship settlers to offload their bricks and other heavy luggage was a small wharf that was eventually built.
Considered to be the first area of settlement, four families built here: Edward Jollie who was a Canterbury Association surveyor, Andrew Anderson who was a blacksmith, John Durey, a farmer and Daniel Inwood, who would go on to open two mills – firstly near Carlton Corner and later, on the Avon River close to Hereford Street.
*Photo courtesy of Annette Bulovic*