Douglas Graham (1818 – 1872)

The news of finding coal at Homebush had been pretty exciting for the Deans and all concerned. James McIlraith – Jane Deans’ half brother and manager of Homebush – and Julius van Haast – the founder of the Canterbury Museum – had made the discovery in the late 1870’s. Just two years later, a coal …

Burnside High School’s Cabbage Trees

Easily the most famous Cabbage Trees in Christchurch! Called Te Herenga Ora by the Ngai Tahu, Burnside High School have recognised the importance of this cluster of Cabbage Trees so much that they are the school’s icon! Before the Europeans made it to Canterbury, the Maori would used this site as a landmark, usually on …

William Boag

William Boag 1828 – 1904   Died of old age The settler behind the naming of the suburb of Burnside. Buried at Addington Cemetery, Christchurch To read the story of William Boag: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/burnside-william-boag-1828-1904/ *Photo taken by Annette Bulovic*

BURNSIDE – William Boag (1828 – 1904)

What made William Boag walk from Lyttelton to Pigeon Bay to seek work straight off his ship in 1851, we may never know. Was it watching the hundreds of pilgrims pile over the Bridle Path, that made him take off in the opposite direction with no money, nothing going for him except the determination that …