On 19th July 1880, Lincoln College welcomed sixteen students onto its campus to study practical farming and related sciences. It was the first agricultural university in the southern hemisphere.
As early as 1873, money had been set aside for the set up of a college of Canterbury that would also have agricultural programme as well. Canterbury College (University of Canterbury) soon fell short in this area and land was source for an additional establishment. 163 hectares were purchased in Lincoln and the college was completed in 1878. W.E. Ivey was employed as the overseer of the build and is now remembered in the naming of the ‘Ivey Hall’, Lincoln’s main administration building (pictured).
Still a part of Canterbury University, Lincoln went through a few names changes, becoming the ‘Canterbury Agricultural College’ in 1896 and then ‘Lincoln University’ in 1990 when it finally became independent.
Today, Lincoln University is New Zealand’s smallest and third oldest University. With additional non-campus sites and paddocks, the University now function on 3462 hectares.
*Image courtesy of the Lincoln University – http://www.lincoln.ac.nz*