In 1940, the Carlton Hotel on Carlton Corner is the first pub in New Zealand to have beer on tap, followed by the first beer garden in 1947 and the first drive-thru bottle shop in 1954.
Alfred Money, already a colourful Canterbury character, built the first Carlton Hotel. It’s rumoured that he got the name from the Carlton Club in London, owned by the Duke of Wellington.
The hotel also had stockyards. Auctions and business deals began to take place and could easily be called the birthplace of what became the Addington Stockyards – which opened on Deans Ave in 1874.
The hotel witnessed one of the city’s first tram lines being constructed outside its doors, hosted grand celebrities such as writer Samuel Butler and influenced the naming of the Carlton Mill that operated just down the road on the nearby Avon River. This mill is remembered in the naming of Carlton Mill Road.
For a more in depth look at the Carlton Corner, please check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/carlton-corner/
* Image courtesy of the Alexander Turnbull Library – Carlton Hotel, Christchurch. Webb, Steffano, 1880?-1967 : Collection of negatives. Ref: 1/1-005375-G. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22349753