On 1 October 1953, Heathcote joined the Great Christchurch and came under the care of the C.C.C.
Heathcote was originally known as ‘Hammerton’, the name of the 40 Hectare property owned by a well liked and respected pioneer- Isaac Cookson. When he moved away a decade later, the area was renamed Heathcote, after Sir William Heathcote of the Canterbury Association.
Heathcote – like Woolston – was forced to change for its survival when feet stopped pounding the Bridle Path and the Railway chuffed its way through Heathcote’s volcanic rock in the form of a tunnel!
Focus was now off the river and on the rails.
For a more in depth look at the history of Heathcote, please check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/
*image courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Libray – View of Heathcote, Christchurch. Webb, Steffano, 1880?-1967 : Collection of negatives. Ref: 1/1-004100-G. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22315023