Henry is one of those English nobles that has a few names:- his titles being Vicount Lascelles, Lord Lieutenant of the West Riding of Yorkshire and most importantly, the 3rd Earl of Harewood!
Henry was a member of the Canterbury Association and his name is amongst the others on the memorial plaque on the east wall of the cathedral. He married Lady Louise Tynne and they had 13 children! Henry’s great grandson, the 6th Earl of Harewood would marry into the royal family, taking as his bride the daughter of King George V and Queen Mary. Basically, the 6th Earl of Harewood is our current Queen’s uncle by marriage!
In 1850, the area that was to become Harewood was a part of Riccarton. The main road through the area was named Harewood after the Earl and so the area also became known by the same name. Harewood Road ran as far north as Oxford in those early days, of course crossing the Waimakariri River!
The first families in the area were the Costers, Dureys, Stanleys and the Nunweeks:- the last three acknowledged as street names and even a park today. John Stanley who arrived in Lyttelton on the ‘Randolph” went on to open the first apple orchard in New Zealand. He also gifted land to the St James Anglican Church and the Harewood School.
In 1862, the school first used the church with its 11 pupils. Amongst the children were members of the Stanleys and Philpotts (acknowledged in Philpotts Road in Mairehau) families, the Philpotts also arriving on the ‘Randolph’. Within 2 years, the roll of the school increased to 30 pupils. The school moved to their current site across the road from St James in 1871.