In 1908, the Colosseum Picture Theatre opened, delighting Cantabs with silent movies. It was Christchurch’s first movie house.
Situated in a building known as the ‘Colosseum’ (built 1888), this structure was demolished in 1929 to make way for a new 40 shop complex still known as New Regent Street.
By 1917, the movie theatre had been replaced by the Olympic Rink, offering another favourite past time to us fun loving Cantabs.
For a more in depth look at New Regent Street, please check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/new-regent-street/
*Photo courtesy of The Script Mag – http://www.scriptmag.com/