Arthur Edgar Gravenor Rhodes (1859 -1922) Died of natural causes Place of Death: Christchurch
* Was the first New Zealand born person to be elected into the House of Representatives.
* Father of Rose Mairehau Hutton who is now remembered in the naming of the suburb ‘Mairehau’.
* Chairman of the ‘New Zealand Shipping Co’ & ‘The Press’.
* Founded ‘Rhodes & Co’ Law Firm – 1884
* Built the beautiful ‘Te Koraha’ Homestead which is now the admin centre of Rangi Ruru Girls High School – 1886
* Member of Parliament 1887 – 1893
* Christchurch’s 24th Mayor – 1901
* Chairman of the Board of Govenors at the Canterbury College (Uni of Canterbury) 1902 -1904
For a closer look at the story of the Rhodes Family: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/the-rhodes-brothers/
Arthur is buried at Bromley Cemetery, Christchurch.
*Photo courtesy of Annette Bulovic*