The Maori Oven At The Avon

When the Deans’ original run of 33,000 acres were taken down to 400 acres in 1850 – to make way for the city of Christchurch to be built – the Deans’ ended up sitting snug between Clyde Road, Deans Ave, Blenheim Road and Fendalton Ave. In 1851 as well as Riccarton Bush (which swept across …

‘Karewa’ renamed To Mona Vale – 1905

The grounds of Mona Vale were once the most beautiful and well kept paddocks on the farm at Riccarton.  In a move that would later grieve the Deans family, this land with its ‘…splendid river frontage…’ was sold in 1899 for £100 per acre.  Riccarton House had grown too small for all thirteen occupants and …