The ‘Mitre’ Opened – December 1849

As the Bridle Path was being sliced into the side of the Port Hills in 1849 – above Lyttelton which was well under construction – at the path’s foot, another structure was rising, under the watchful eye of its owner – Major Alfred Hornbrook. It was to be Canterbury’s first commercial enterprise, hotel and humble …