• GEBBIES PASS – Mary Gebbie (? – ?)

    Gebbies Valley and Pass were known during the 1830’s as ‘Maori Valley” by the Rhodes brothers of Purau as it was a busy trail that the Maori used when heading south. The Maori called it Kawa Taua. Captain Fredrick Tuckett used the trail on the 4th June 1844. He was inspecting the Peninsula and the …

  • HOON HAY – Captain Wickham Talbot Harvey (1829 – 1889)

    The 50 acres that Captain Harvey took up on the Port Hills in 1852 was considered one of Christchurch’s most beautiful spots.  Heavy lush woodlands swept up the nearby valley and like most men of the new settlement, the Captain looked over his new source of timber with dollar signs in his eyes. He named …

  • DIAMOND HARBOUR – Mark Pringle Stoddard (1819 – 1885)

    Charlotte Godley (wife of Christchurch’s founder John Robert Godley) didn’t miss a thing.  During her short time in New Zealand, she observed and met some of the very early colourful characters of Canterbury.  None escaped the fury of her pen when she wrote letters home to her mother in England. Mr. Mark Pringle Stoddard was …

  • RUSSLEY – William Chisnall 1827 – 1876

    William Chisnall and his wife Sarah (some records say Steadman) arrived in Lyttelton a few months before the First Four Ships.  As William was a carpenter, he had been employed by the Canterbury Association to help ready the Port for the new settlers. Aboard the ‘Randolph’ was William Derisley (W.D) Wood, Chisnall’s brother-in-law.  Together in …

Contact Form Powered By : XYZScripts.com
%d bloggers like this: