Just fifteen days after conducting Canterbury’s first Anglican Church service, Rev. Henry Jacobs opened a boy’s school in two rooms of the Lyttelton Immigration Barracks. He only had twelve pupils and it cost two guineas to enroll. In April 1852, the school made the move over to Christchurch, setting up its base at Christ’s Church …
On 3rd January 1851, Bishop George Selwyn – the Anglican Bishop of New Zealand – sailed his ship, the ‘Undine’ into Lyttelton Harbour. He had traveled down from Auckland to welcome those who had arrived on the First Four Ships. Now in his tenth year as Bishop, he was no stranger to Canterbury. The naming …
After a long 13 years of restoration and upgrading, Christchurch’s first church, St Michael’s and All Angels reopened in 1872. The foundation stone had been laid on the 29th September 1870. The church had faced the same problem as most of the buildings – including the Christchurch Cathedral – had during the 1860′s – lack …
In 2000, as part of Canterbury’s 150th anniversary, New Zealand’s oldest illustrated childrens book was returned to Christchurch (from England) where it had been penned from 1851 to 1858. James Edward Fitzgerald – Canterbury’s first Superintendent and founder of ‘The Press’ – began to make the book for the three-year-old son of Canterbury Founder and …