As Scottish born Jeanie Collier carefully made her way from her South Canterbury Raupo-roofed cottage, she was practically blind, if not completely. Tight in her hand was her walking stick which helped her on the way. But Jeanie wasn’t alone – both her sister, Margaret, and nephew George, her caretakers, accompanied her and stopped with …
On 17th March 1863, the weekly ‘Press’ became a daily newspaper. James Edward Fitzgerald – Canterbury’s first Superintendent – was in serious opposition of William Sefton Moorhouse and his railway tunnel through the Port Hills. Believing this ambitious project would bankrupt Canterbury, he tried to fight Superintendent Moorhouse through letters to the ‘Lyttelton Times’. Firm …
Canterbury’s oldest liquor licence was issued to John Hastie on 1st July 1860 for the Hurunui Accommodation House. The building that we know today was erected in 1869 by John’s widow. It is unclear whether it actually took the Hastie’s nine years to finally open a business or whether the current hotel replaced a more …
When the ‘Charlotte Jane’, the first of the Canterbury Association ships arrived at Port Lyttelton mid December 1850, around seven hundred people were already living in and working around the harbour. On 3rd January 1851, a ‘Charlotte Jane’ passenger, Edward Ward, wrote the following into his journal… “Rode with Mr. [John Robert] Godley [Founder of …