On 25th June 1862, the Canterbury Provincial Council decided to temporarily set aside Settler’s Corner (now known as Little Hagley Park), as a Maori Reserve. Although a map was drawn up, the project was never started as talks for a planned land swap with the Ngai Tahu never eventuated. This was one of many examples …
On 1st June 1862, a two storied ‘…barn-like structure…’ was opened at the edge of Hagley Park. Despite the huge ‘Hands Off Hagley’ protest rally against its construction, the building of the Christchurch Public Hospital went ahead. The site of the Canterbury Provincial Chambers was one of the first locations considered but it was thought …
On 16 May 1862, Edward Gibbon Wakefield, the owner of the New Zealand Company (the organisation who purchased land from the Maori for the settlements of Canterbury, Wellington, New Plymouth and Nelson) and the co-founder of the Canterbury Association died of Rheumatic Fever and Neuralgia. By the 1830′s, Wakefield was a politician with a keen …
On the 3rd March 1862 – in the old timber land office on the corner of Worchester Street and Oxford Terrace – the first meeting of the Christchurch Municipal Council or the Christchurch Town Council as they have also been called, held their first meeting. The building they used was fitting for such an historical …