On 18th November 1874, town and country met with the opening of the Addington Saleyards. The birthplace of what would become the yards began in the early 1860’s with the building of the Carlton Hotel on the corner of the North Town Belt (Bealey Ave) and Papanui Road. Publican Alfred Money soon realised that most …
On 8 January 1874, John Shand – remembered today in the naming of ‘Shands Emporium’ – died. Widower John Shand and his two teenage boys arrived in Christchurch in 1851. John, a merchant and cotton broker by trade, had decided to make the move to a warmer climate for the health of his eldest son, …
In 1874, Jimmy Robinson Clough, one of Canterbury’s first permanent European settlers died in his Alfred Forest cottage (pictured). It is believed that he was the first European to travel down the Ōtākaro – the Avon River. In 1837, after spotting a beautiful Maori woman in Akaroa where his whaling ship had dropped anchor, he …
From around 1856 in Woolston and Opawa, small businesses began to spring up alongside the Heathcote River. For the busy ferry service, it was standard practice for those with personal luggage to collect their goods on Ferry Road (close to Radley Street Bridge) but some industrial cargoes would continue their journey up stream into Christchurch. …