As far back as 1863, a deaf Charteris Bay child was being taught by sign language. On 10th March 1880 – under the guidance of Gerrit van Asch (pictured) – New Zealand’s first government funded school for the deaf opened in Sumner, Christchurch. This was also New Zealand’s first institution that used the oral teaching …
From 1851 Dr. A.C. Barker had always had problems with others concerning his plot of land on the North West corner of Cathedral Square, close to where the former Government Life has just recently been demolished. Nicknamed the ugliest building in Christchurch, it has never the less – since the 1960’s – cast its shadow …
It was around 9am on Boxing Day 1879 that the owner of the Barretts Borough Hotel (the New Excelsior Backpackers), John Barrett, heard the band music of an approaching parade that was coming south down Manchester Street. As he looked out the hotel windows, he could see ‘The Protestant Alliance Friendly Society’ (known as Orangemen) …
On 12th August 1879, in a New Zealand first, an industrial association was set up in Canterbury. It would eventually be a branch of the New Zealand Industrial Association. The founding president was Nelson born Robert Allan (pictured). The main aim of this association was to ‘foster and encourage’ local industries, manufacturers or those working …