On 22 January 1903, the Christchurch Tramway Board held their first meeting. Amongst the members of this first transport board were names like Henry Francis Wigram (remembered in the naming of the suburb) and George Stead (founder of the Heathcote Malt Works, owner of The Press – just to name a few). From 1880, horse …
It had been so unusual to the see Martin’s Eyreton property so quiet and still. Concerned neighbours soon raised the alarm and a party of four made their way towards the house. Upon finding all the doors locked, windows fastened and no reply to their knocking, Obed Frederick Clothier smashed the window of the bedroom …
In July 1901, after a forty year argument between the Christchurch City Council, the Police, the Canterbury Hospital Board, the city’s doctors and yes, even our publicans – the Christchurch City Morgue was opened. As Christchurch rolled along during its first ten years of settlement, the highest death rate was people tumbling into the Avon …
On 22nd June 1901, the future King George V and Queen Mary arrived in Canterbury as part of their Royal tour of New Zealand. At the time, they were the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall. As if on cue, the heavy clouds that covered the Lyttelton sky suddenly cleared as the Royal ship ‘Ophir’ was …