First Land Allotted to Settlers – 17th February 1851

On the 17th and 18th February 1851, the first allotment of land to the settlers took place. The land office (pictured with the flag standing outside) hadn’t even been finished as people gathered outside.  It was situated where the earthquake damaged Christchurch Municipal Chambers now sit (as of 2014). “Outside the scene looked busy enough.  …

Canterbury’s First Ball – 4th February 1851

By February 1851, after roughly 700 people came pouring off our first four Canterbury Association ships, one can imagine the stir caused with the arrival of a hand delivered invitation to a Ball. The first to be held in Canterbury or so the Lyttelton Times would later report.  After all, only 90 invites were sent …

The First Bridge Is Built In Central Christchurch – February 1851

With the Opawaho (Heathcote River) and Otakaro (Avon River) weaving their way through the future site of Christchurch – not to mention the countless swamps and lagoons – crossing the newly named Canterbury Plains wasn’t for the fainted hearted.  There wouldn’t have been many times that our Canterbury Association surveyors would have bedded down for …

‘The Lyttelton Times’ First Issued – 11th January 1851

On the 11 January 1851, the first issue of The Lyttelton Times (pictured) hit the shelves. As the Canterbury Association made their plans for New Zealand’s newest Church of England (Anglican) settlement, they spoke of a grand Cathedral and college being at its heart with a good number of public domains for recreation and oh …

Canterbury’s First School Opened – 6th January 1851

Just fifteen days after conducting Canterbury’s first Anglican Church service, Rev. Henry Jacobs opened a boy’s school in two rooms of the Lyttelton Immigration Barracks. He only had twelve pupils and it cost two guineas to enroll. In  April 1852, the school made the move over to Christchurch, setting up its base at Christ’s Church …

Bishop Selwyn Arrived To Welcome Settlers – 3rd January 1851

On 3rd January 1851, Bishop George Selwyn – the Anglican Bishop of New Zealand – sailed his ship, the ‘Undine’ into Lyttelton Harbour. He had traveled down from Auckland to welcome those who had arrived on the First Four Ships. Now in his tenth year as Bishop, he was no stranger to Canterbury. The naming …

Christchurch’s First Church Opened – 1851

After a long 13 years of restoration and upgrading, Christchurch’s first church, St Michael’s and All Angels reopened in 1872.  The foundation stone had been laid on the 29th September 1870. The church had faced the same problem as most of the buildings – including the Christchurch Cathedral – had during the 1860′s – lack …

New Zealand’s Oldest Illustrated Children’s Is Begun In Lyttelton – 1851

In 2000, as part of Canterbury’s 150th anniversary, New Zealand’s oldest illustrated childrens book was returned to Christchurch (from England) where it had been penned from 1851 to 1858. James Edward Fitzgerald – Canterbury’s first Superintendent and founder of ‘The Press’ – began to make the book for the three-year-old son of Canterbury Founder and …

Canterbury’s First Confectionery Shop Opened – 1851

When twenty year old Walter Gee (pictured) stepped off the ‘Sir George Pollock’ in 1851 – the Canterbury Association’s 17th ship – he couldn’t have dreamt of the history he would witness and be part of. Listed as a carpenter on the Association’s passenger manifest, Walter was also a blind-maker but found little demand for …

First Ground Broken For Street -1851

Embedded into the very pavement of where High and Cashel Streets meet is a plaque acknowledging the spot where the very first ground was broken on a Christchurch street.  Up to this point, only survey pegs marked out the roads.  According the plaque, tussock was removed and the ruts left behind were filled in with …