Van Asch Deaf Education Centre Opened – 10th March 1880

As far back as 1863, a deaf Charteris Bay child was being taught by sign language. On 10th March 1880 – under the guidance of Gerrit van Asch (pictured) – New Zealand’s first government funded school for the deaf opened in Sumner, Christchurch. This was also New Zealand’s first institution that used the oral teaching …

Narrow Well Beaten Dirt Track Becomes Chancery Lane – 1880

From 1851 Dr. A.C. Barker had always had problems with others concerning his plot of land on the North West corner of Cathedral Square, close to where the former Government Life has just recently been demolished.  Nicknamed the ugliest building in Christchurch, it has never the less – since the 1960’s – cast its shadow …

The Orange And The Green Riot – 26th December 1879

It was around 9am on Boxing Day 1879 that the owner of the Barretts Borough Hotel (the New Excelsior Backpackers), John Barrett, heard the band music of an approaching parade that was coming south down Manchester Street. As he looked out the hotel windows, he could see ‘The Protestant Alliance Friendly Society’ (known as Orangemen) …

The Canterbury Industrial Association Formed – 12th August 1879

On 12th August 1879, in a New Zealand first, an industrial association was set up in Canterbury. It would eventually be a branch of the New Zealand Industrial Association. The founding president was Nelson born Robert Allan (pictured). The main aim of this association was to ‘foster and encourage’ local industries, manufacturers or those working …

First Prime Minister Died – 14th May 1879

On 14th May 1879, New Zealand’s first Premier (Prime Minister) Henry Sewell died in Cambridge, England. Sewell could do amazing things with money and numbers – which made him more than a little unpopular! A lawyer by trade, he became the Deputy Director of the Canterbury Association, arriving at Lyttelton in 1853. He walked into …

‘Sure to Rise’ Edmonds Arrived in Christchurch – 1879

In 1879, Thomas and Jane Edmonds – founders of the ‘Sure to Rise’ baking powder brand – arrived in Canterbury. As a young man he worked for a several different confectioneries in England where he learnt the mixing of different kinds of cooking powders. It was here that Thomas began to get ideas about making …

Cathedral Square’s Victorian Drinking Fountain – 1878

In 1878, on the south west corner of Colombo and Hereford Streets (outside the B.N.Z Bank in Cathedral Square) an ornate Victorian cast iron drinking fountain was placed as a gift to the city. Believed to have been made by Christchurch’s 1st blacksmith and 2nd Mayor, John Anderson, the fountain and accompanying water bowl was …

Fearless Mayor First To Serve Two Terms – September 1877

Fred Hobbs was just 13 years old when his family arrived in Christchurch, from England, in 1855. His father, a tailor by trade, had decided to make the move to Canterbury as a manual labourer given this profession was high in demand. They were also encouraged to immigrate by family friend, George Gould, who had …

Provincial Government Abolished – 1st January 1877

On 1 January 1877, the era of Provincial Government in New Zealand slipped into the folds of the country’s history. Established under the New Zealand Constitution Act 1852, New Zealand was split up into six provinces. Each province was its own sub-government and these were built around the six original settlements. The Canterbury Province sat …

Canterbury’s First Harvester Trialled at Riccarton – 8th January 1877

On 8 January 1877, Canterbury’s first harvest machine was trialled at Riccarton Farm by the Deans. It is so hard to imagine today that fields of wheat and barley once grew alongside Riccarton Road and Deans Ave. This was not the first time a new farming invention had been broken in by the Deans. In …