“We have sketched out in our imagination a handsome central street running through the city, terminated at one end by the college and its gardens – at the other, the Cathedral in the Central Square”.
– The first tree – the Albert Edward Oak – was planted in the Christchurch Botanical Gardens in 1863
– The foundation stone for the Christchurch Cathedral was laid in 1864
– The Canterbury College – now the Canterbury University – opened in 1877 in the buildings of The Arts Centre.
Henry Sewell ~ 1853
*Canterbury Association Member*
*1st Premier of New Zealand 1856*
*3rd Colonial Secretary of New Zealand 1856*