Walpole Fendall arrived in Christchurch on the Sir George Seymour, one of the first four ships. From England, his father had purchased an 50 acre block for Walpole which he subdivided quickly. With a road already going through his land (now Fendalton Road) and with the development of housing, it soon became known as Fendall Town.
Walpole was very fond of horse racing and was one of the stewards at the very first horse race in Hagley Park in 1852. His other passion was politics though he was never successful in this field.
After a few disappointments and the tragic drowning of one of their children in the Avon, Walpole and his wife Lucy moved away to Kowai in North Canterbury in 1860 but his name remained. His land is now the suburb of Fendalton.
The location of where the Fendall’s house once stood is now 123 Fendalton Road, the site of Holly Lea retirement village.
Both Walpole and Lucy are buried at St Paul’s Anglican Church in Papanui.