Cyril Julian Mountford (1853 – 1920)

Cyril Julian Mountford was the second son of famed Canterbury architect Benjamin Mountfort. Following in his father’s footsteps, Cyril unfortunately never branched away from Benjamin’s type of style, his work mirroring Benjamin’s a great deal.

When Benjamin died in 1898, Cyril took over his practise and finished the projects at that time, including the Canterbury Cathedral. Cyril also upgraded two of Benjamin’s designs: The Holy Trinity Church Avonside (now demolished due to the 2010/2011 earthquakes) and St Peter’s Anglican Church on Church Corner in Upper Riccarton.

Cyril designed St Peter’s Anglican Church in Springfield in 1884, St Luke’s Anglican Church (corner of Kilmore and Manchester Streets – now demolished due to 2011 earthquakes) in 1907, St John’s Church in the Hororata in 1911 and St Matthew’s in Hastings.

Cyril is buried with his father and mother, Benjamin and Emily, his older brother Wilfred and younger sister Hilda at the Holy Trinity Church Avonside.

*photo taken by Chris Bulovic*

Leave a Reply


*

 

%d bloggers like this: