Moorhouse Statue Unveiled – 22nd December 1885

On 22 December 1885, the statue to honour the service of the late William Sefton Moorhouse was unveiled in the Christchurch Botanical Gardens.

He had been Canterbury’s second Superintendent and served in this role twice – first in 1858 to 1862 and again in 1866 to 1868. He was further honoured in 1903 when the South Belt was renamed Moorhouse Avenue.

Moorhouse is mostly remembered for the construction of the Lyttelton (Moorhouse) Railway Tunnel which was the first tunnel in the world to be taken through volcanic rock.

For a more in depth look at William Sefton Moorhouse, check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/spreydon-william-sefton-moorhouse-1825-1881/

*image courtesy of Annette Bulovic*

Leave a Reply


*

 

%d bloggers like this: