On 14 December 1934, the foundation stones for the Scarborough and New Brighton Clock Towers are laid. The towers were a gift to the city from Christchurch builder, Richard Edward Green. Both clock towers are built to honour his father, Edmund Green, who set up the first telegraph service in New Zealand.
Irene Leaver, the daughter of the Mayor of New Brighton Borough and W.H. Nichollson, the Mayor of the Sumner Borough do the honours in spite of a bomb threat!
Another gift to Christchurch given by Richard was the Fitzgerald Statue, a man he very much respected.
For a more in depth look at the story of the Richard Edward Green, please check out the following link: http://www.peelingbackhistory.co.nz/
*image courtesy of Annette Bulovic*